Friday, June 02, 2006

大長今

I look forward to 10pm on weekday nights. Jewel in the Palace is really absorbing. I don't know who hasn't watched it yet but there must be very few of them around. This show can even convert the most hardcore cynics of Korean drama. I had watched it once on vcd but I can't prevent myself from sitting in front of the TV when the 10 pm arrives. The few people whom I recommended the drama to all agreed that it was an awesome show. Even Shahid is a fan now.

No one would possibly dislike the heroine Chang Jin. With a sweet innocent smile and gentle demeanor, she also had a steely determination to match anyone. I can't imagine anyone who will not feel for her for all the sufferings and setbacks she went through from a young child losing her parents to being a woman trapped in the palace's power struggle. Despite of all the obstacles placed by her enemies, she would always overcome them and get on with her life with the philosophy of putting heart in everything she did. Sometimes I can't help but want to share of the pain for her.

Luckily there was someone to do it. There is always a prince charming for the damsel in distress. Here it comes in the guise of Min Zhenghao aka Da Ren who was a high-ranking official from the aristocrat class. The love between them was always subtle; their most intimate moment was only a hug. However every eye contact betweent the two was always tender and full of concern. All the sacrifices (eg he left his post to go into exile with her at Jeju) that Da Ren made for Chang Jin would make any women go green with envy and touched at the same time. If I were a female, I would definitely want to marry him.

There were a couple of bad people namely the Cuis and their cronies. Most of the time I really hated them for doing all the bad things to Chang Jin.
There weren't much excuses for most of their actions against a poor helpless girl. However there were occasions where I would be thinking that it's likely that I would do the same as them if placed in their shoes. Some of their decisions were forced by circumstances and it would be hard not to save oneself first before anything else. In retrospect, some of the bad characters were actually quite pitiful such as Jinying whose love for Da Ren was never requited or Cui Sanggong having to poison her good friend Ming Yi (who would become Chang Jin's mother) for the sake of her family. I guessed once they decided on this path, it would be a road of no return.

The supporting casts were also delightful to watch. The most memorable character must be Da Shu, the henpecked husband of the couple who took in the just-orphaned Chang Jin. He cared for Chang Jin as if she was his own kid and helped her whenever he could. His appearances provided great comic relief as he loved to boast and his version of events was always exaggerated. Another memorable supporting character would be the lovable Liansheng. She was Chang Jin's buddy from childhood and later became the King's concubine. I was really impressed with the actress' crying skills as many of her scenes were of her crying. I guess that she would be those kind of girls that guys would love to protect. (right Shahid?)

For those who haven't watched it, I think that you are missing out a timeless classic. Watch it if you can!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home