Thursday, April 03, 2008

The "Dark Side"

I was feeling feverish after Monday's RFGP class and I woke up the next morning feeling even worse.

Somehow I managed to drag myself to school because I had RMSS presentation. After meeting my group for a short rehearsal at 1pm, I went to the school clinic only to find out that the it would only be re-opened at 2pm. So I sat on the steps, waiting for the staff to return.

Out of nowhere, I was ambushed by two girls. I was too sick to recall their openning line but I sorta got the idea what they were there for.

After the usual banter, they asked what kind of beliefs do I hold.

Bingo.

Being a nice guy, I just played along with them. I tried to explain what I understand by Buddhism but even if I'm wrong they probably won't know either. Then they asked me what was my purpose in life. Although I knew what was the model answer for them, I told them that I want to be a good person.

Then one of the girls asked me whether it was okay for her to share her beliefs with me. I said yeah sure. Heard it a lot of times already; wouldn't hurt me to hear one more time. So after God and Man, Adam amd Eve and Jesus and sin, they posed me new questions: Do I think that there is a real truth outside what I am believing in? Am I interested in knowing the real truth?

Ah... The Truth...! What is the truth? I ask them. If you choose to believe something is true, then the something is truth to you, isn't it? Everyone has his/her own perception of truths based on her beliefs.

For any of my Christian friends who may read this, I can assure you that I have nothing against Christianity. I think that Christianity is a good religion, just like Islam or Buddhism. Without the various Christian missions around the world, there will be even more sufferings present. However, I feel that religion is something that is between one and one's God only. You may feel that your beliefs are the truth but you can't cross the line and said, "Hey, your beliefs are wrong man... Mine's the right one!"

Of course they didn't say that but I felt that this kind of prostelyzing sort of put down non-Christian beliefs. Conversion should be the result of a person's commitment to the religion on own accord; outside of any external influence.

Throughout the conversation with them, my mind kept wandering to the scenes of the movie Secret Sunshine. The promise of God's love is both intoxicating and powerful. The female protagonist who lost her son initially found peace in God's love. However, the experience of losing faith was more miserable for her compared to the death of her son.

The conversation ended when the clinic re-opened for the afternoon. There was this pretty exchange student in the clinic as well. She should be some Scandinavian because I heard that her name was Mailin or something similar. She wasn't sick and was only there to get the doc's prescription for anti-malaria pills.

That was not covered under students' insurance and I was quite shocked when I heard the clinic lady told her the price. $190 for 25 tablets. However it's better to pay than be sorry later.

Then another pretty girl also came into the clinic. She looks like Chinese national to me but still quite pretty. I began to wonder was clinic the place where all the pretty girls gathered?

LOL...

Perhaps pretty girls fall sick easily.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home