Thursday, July 03, 2008

My Weird Interest

I didn't realize that this interest in national anthems is considered weird until someone pointed out.

I have already forget when did the interest start. Perhaps it's from Zamorano belting out the Chilean national anthem during the World Cup '98 which got me started.


Himno Nacional de Chile

I will put up some of the more interesting national anthems that I've found on Youtube.

Peoples' Republic of China - 义勇军进行曲 (March of the Volunteers)


Flag Raising Ceremony in Hong Kong

起来!不愿做奴隶的人们!
Arise! All who refuse to be slaves!
把我们的血肉,筑成我们新的长城!
Let our flesh and blood become our new Great Wall!
中华民族到了最危险的时候,
As the Chinese Nation faces its greatest peril
每个人被迫着发出最后的吼声。
All forcefully expend their last cries.
起来!起来!起来!
Arise! Arise! Arise!
我们万众一心,
Our million hearts beat as one,
冒着敌人的炮火,前进!
Brave the enemy's fire, March on!
冒着敌人的炮火,前进!
Brave the enemy's fire, March on!
前进!前进!进!
March on! March on! On!

Although I'm not a big fan of China, somehow I like the drumbeat of this anthem. I also like the way how the soldiers flip the flags during the flag-raising ceremony.

As the lyrics is in Modern Chinese as opposed to Classical Chinese of the ROC National Anthem, I can understand them fairly easily.

I don't understand why the Chinese people have to use their bodies to form the new Great Wall though.

Indonesia - Indonesia Raya (Great Indonesia)


Indonesia v Saudi Arabia Asian Cup 2007
Indonesia, tanah airku, tanah tumpah darahku.
Indonesia my native land, the land where I shed my blood.
Di sanalah aku berdiri, jadi pandu ibuku.
There I stand, being a soldier of my mother.
Indonesia, kebangsaanku, bangsa dan tanah airku.
Indonesia my nationality, my nation and my country.
Marilah kita berseru, "Indonesia bersatu!"
Let us exclaim "United Indonesia!"
Hiduplah tanahku, hiduplah neg'riku,
Live my land, live my state,
Bangsaku, rakyatku, semuanya.
My nation, my people, all.
Bangunlah jiwanya, bangunlah badannya
Build its spirit, build its bodies
Untuk Indonesia Raya!
For Great Indonesia!

CHORUS:
Indonesia Raya, merdeka, merdeka
Great Indonesia, independent and free,
Tanahku, neg'riku yang kucinta.
My land, my country, which I love.
Indonesia Raya, merdeka, merdeka
Great Indonesia, independent and free,
Hiduplah Indonesia Raya! (*2)
Live Great Indonesia! (*2)
Almost 90,000 people belting out at full volume. Some of the words used here can be found in the Malaysian and Singapore national anthems as well.

Wales - Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (Land of my Fathers)


RWC '99 Mileenium Stadium

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
The land of my fathers is dear unto me,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Old land where the minstrels are honoured and free:
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,
Its warring defenders, so gallant and brave,
Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.
For freedom their life's blood they gave

(Cytgan)
Chorus

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Land!,Land!,True I am to my land!

Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
While seas secure, this land so pure,
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.
o may our old language endure.

The Welsh anthem is slower but somehow it always moves me when I listen to it.

United States - The Star-Spangled Banner


By Carrie Underwood

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming.
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming.
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

The national anthem of the most powerful country in the world is yet another slow tune.

Seems that most Americans only know the last line.

Italy - Il Canto degli Italiani (Song of the Italians)


Euro 2008 Italy v France
Fratelli d'Italia,
Brothers of Italy,
l'Italia s'è desta,
Italy has awoken,
dell'elmo di Scipio
with Scipio's helmet
s'è cinta la testa.
binding her head.
Dov'è la Vittoria?
Where is Victory?
Le porga la chioma,
Let her bow down,
ché schiava di Roma
For God has made her
Iddio la creò.
Rome's slave

CORO:
Chorus

Stringiamci a coorte,
Let us join in cohort,
siam pronti alla morte.
We are ready to die!
Siam pronti alla morte,
We are ready to die!
l'Italia chiamò.
Italy has called!
Anyone who is a fan of F1 racing will find this song familiar. Whenever the prancing horse wins, this tune will be played. It sounds a bit like opera music to me.

Almost all the Italian players in the starting line-up sang the national anthem with gutso prior to the game against France. The only exception is Christian Panucci. Mauro Camoranesi doesn't sing it as well. (He's a naturalized Argentine.)

France - La Marseillaise (The Song of Marseille)



Rick Blaine's Bar, Casablanca

Allons enfants de la Patrie, Arise, children of the Homeland,
Le jour de gloire est arrivé ! The day of glory has arrived!
Contre nous de la tyrannie, Against us, tyranny
L'étendard sanglant est levé. (bis) Bloody banner is risen. (repeat)
Entendez-vous dans les campagnes Do you hear in the countryside
Mugir ces féroces soldats ? These ferocious soldiers howling?
Ils viennent jusque dans nos bras They are coming into our arms
Égorger nos fils, nos compagnes ! To cut the throats of our sons, our wives!


Aux armes, citoyens ! To arms, citizens!
Formez vos bataillons ! Form your battalions!
Marchons, marchons ! Let us walk, let us walk!
Qu'un sang impur May an impure blood
Abreuve nos sillons ! Water our furrows!

Who can forget the classic scene in Casablanca when Victor Laszlo led the bar patrons singing La Marseillaise to drown out the German officers?

If I have to choose, this will be my favorite anthem.

However I will have to agree that the theme of the song is very violent.

An interesting fact is that Christian Karembeu refuses to sing La Marseillaise in protest against the treatment of his uncles as exhibits of human zoo back in the 1930s.

But I think that even he has to agree that this song is right up there among the best national anthems.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home