Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Princess Hours

I think I have been watching quite a lot of Korean drama lately. The most recent one is Princess Hours which is a rom-com based on a comic. I would say it is quite nice and enjoy watching it.


[Warning! Spoilers ahead!]

Well I'm not good at writing the synopsis so I will add a link here. Basically it's a Cinderella story whereby a commoner girl gets to marry the Crown Prince. I happened to be around when my brother was watching the first episode on his laptop. The first episode was funny and intere
sting enough for me to make my brother download the whole series from youtube. I finished the 24 episodes in 4 days. Now I'm scared I will become a TV addict like Qinyao.

When I started watching, I thought that the female lead was rather plain. Well at least compared to all the other Korean eye candies such as Kim Tae Hee or Son Ye Jin, I don't think she will stand out. However as the series went on, her character grows on me. She's really cute and endearing. Probably these are the reasons why the two princes are fighting over her.


Her name is Yoon Eun-hye and is a member of pop group Babyvox. In the series she was Chaegyung, the student who became the Crown Princess. As the Crown Princess, her wardrobe was really awesome and I like many of the dresses and costumes she wore. Acting-wise I think she performed admirably as the spunky Crown Princess. There were many scenes where she had to convey her emotions and she pulled them off pretty well. Well maybe I'm just infatuated and biased now.

Beside an interesting storyline and attractive cast, the great set (especially the Crown Prince's living quarters) and the super nice costumes the cast wore also made the drama worth watching. However, I felt that the plot had a big flaw which I don't know whether it was the fault of the scriptwriter or an inherent one from the comic. The public's interest in the Royal Family was not consistent at all. There were times when the media were extremely aggressive and there were also times when the royals could simply walk in the streets unmolested. I don't think it was realistic that the paparazzi would let them off so easily.

Despite this I had thoroughly enjoyed the show. I would like to thank the people who took the efforts to subtitle the series in English and upload it on youtube. That must really take a lot of time and efforts. If weren't for them I wouldn't be watching the drama just 2 months after it ended its run in Korea. Now Channel U is showing the trailer of Princess Hours. It writes coming soon but rumours has it that October will be the more likely date. Afterall our free-to-air tv stations are not known for showing the most recent foreign tv programmes.

The ending was rather unexpected but I was rather pleased it ended that way. It left the door open for a sequel which is said to be in planning stage now and will be aired next year. I'm looking forward to it already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home