Sunday, July 23, 2006

Cancer spreads

It's been more than a week since the last entry. It wasn't so much that I was busy but more of my computer going bonkers.

It began with a virus on 2 Thursdays ago. My msn was sending out messages to all the contacts to share pictures which I had never taken with them. After discovering that, the most logical thing to do was to get help and Mr Chong Shyh Hao stepped in. He managed to run the anti-virus program but the internet connection shut down after restarting the computer.

What exactly was the problem? If he didn't know, I definitely had no idea too. He called up Starhub but they deduced it was a hardware problem. So Mr Chong Shyh Hao suggested to format the whole c:\ drive. I agreed with him that it's time to do it. I went down to Sim Lim to get a 320 gb external hard drive to back up our files. That cost me 249 bucks. Mr Chong Shyh Hao said that he would share the cost with me but I haven't seen any money yet and I'm not going to see him till 2007.

So we backed up whatever stuff we wanted and formated the computer. I didn't know what happened exactly but he couldn't complete the OS installation. My monitor went blank and just display the message no video input. So it was another problem to fix before the previous one can be solved. Very frustrating but I could do nothing about it. Mr Chong Shyh Hao suspected that it might be the video card that cause the screen to go blank. So before he left, he told me to work on that.

I tried to get a video card from my friends over the week. Qinyao had decided to shift to NUS and wasn't free to pass it to me. Wai San's card was not compatible (according to him) so I didn't bother to travel to his house. Anyway I was tied up with the SMU cip stuff as well and didn't have much time to do anything about the computer. In the end I raised the white flag and let my father took it to the repairman.

Well it turned out that the motherboard was the thing that was spoilt. So this explained how the cancer spreads from the sound to the internet connection and then finally the video ouput. The repair charges turned out to be quite hefty but at least the computer was fixed. Just like what Shahid said, I shouldn't attempt to solve all the problems by myself as there are more qualified people around. I'm just so glad that I can blog this piece now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home