Friday, July 07, 2006

It's a small world after all.

A few days ago I received a sms from an unknown number, asking me whether I was free on Thursday evening. It turned out to be from Weijie, the assistant class rep from my 1st 3 month class. He was tasked by Chu Yuet to organise a gathering because she was going to Korea for the rest of the year. Although I hadn't been in close contact with most of them, I was invited as well.

I spent the 1st 3 months of my JC life at Temasek JC. It was quite an interesting experience. The school was full of history and my classmates were a great bunch of people. After I got my 'O' levels' results, I knew that I could stay if I wanted. However, there wasn't much to hold me back though. I never felt that I belong to there and the environment was rather depressing, especially after the class was arrowed for being rowdy and lazy (both true to a certain extent). Less than half of the class can stay in TJ and only 7 (or less?) remained in the same class in the end. Being from VS I wanted to get into VJC but sadly it wasn't meant to be.

I ended up in AJC and I had to admit that I have as much sense of belonging to it as to TJ. Most of my new classmates weren't nearly as fun as the ones from TJ but it would be another story altogether. However I don't regret leaving TJ at all and I would just treat my JC years as the phase of life that I had to go through.

We were supposed to meet at 6.30 pm at Bugis MRT. I was the last one to arrive at 6.50pm because the washroom at level B1 was unavailable and I had to go to the one much further. Alright it's an excuse but it's true. There were 5 of us altogether; Chu Yuet the main character who will be going off soon, Weijie the guy who informed me, Colin and Sharon who form the only couple from my 1st 3 months class and of course yours truly here.

While we were deciding where to eat, Sharon saw her sister with his boyfriend at the escalators. Singapore is very small indeed. Chu Yuet suggested that we ate sushi and we were fine since we insisted that she would be the one paying for it. While waiting to be seated, I dropped her a bombshell.

Actually I only knew that she is studying architecture a few weeks ago and I figured out that there might be a chance my brother would know her. I asked him whether he knew her and it happened that they will be going Korea as a group together. Chu Yuet was quite stunned to find out that her schoolmate was her ex-classmate's brother. She couldn't quite place us together and kept on insisting we aren't alike at all.

She wasn't able to overcome her inital shock quickly enough and began her gibberish. After she realised that she said something she shouldn't be saying, she started to find good things to say about him and wanted me not to tell on her. I'm not very sure whether those niceties are her heart-felt words but being his brother for more than 20 years, I definitely know more than she does. I didn't commit myself to her request so she can keep on guessing whether her earlier actions can go undetected.

Over dinner, Chu Yuet told us about what she would be doing internship at an architecture firm in Seoul in the first month and her pay would be approximately 500 sgd. Sharon chipped in with her internship story at Prudential where she received minimun pay but maximum grades. Then she carried on with the politics at her office where there is a female supervisor whose husband is her subordinate and he has to put up with the overbearing ways of his boss/wife. Chu Yuet was quick to draw parallel between the female supervisor and Sharon which of course drew instant rebuttal from Sharon. I'm not surprised that we are misled; Sharon is clearly more of a Type A person compared to Colin who always seems so cool and calm.

When the bill came, Chu Yuet went to pay up at the cashier's and then tried to get us to pay for our own share. Weijie and Sharon insisted that she would treat us this time round and we will return her the favour when she returns to Singapore. I thought it meant to be a prank and I just went along. On the way to MRT station, Chu Yuet tried to coax us into paying up, albeit unsuccessfully. We haggled at the control station and I could see that Colin was prepared to pay her. However Sharon got him to leave (so are we really misled?) and Chu Yuet was left behind rather bemused of her situation.

Weijie didn't pay up as well. It was quite funny to see Chu Yuet's reaction to the whole saga. However I can't afford not to pay her or else she might complain to my brother. Anyway I hope that she enjoys herself and everything goes smoothly for her during the time there.

By the way, Sharon's sister actually ate at the same restaurant as us. It's really a small world after all.

1 Comments:

Blogger chu yuet said...

well!!! i was kinda searching for my name! n there u are!! talking bad about me! hahaha... okay lar... its okay if u tell ur bro about what i said also. but really i din mean that he is jijiao. i mean i didnt use the apt word n den it just came out. he is totally not jijiao woh! but we sometimes think differently lar~ but i frankly think that he would think that im really a sucking leech lar. so... i hope that in this jeju trip i can redeem myself~ n come on lor... tj wasnt as sucking as u think lar...
Hmm... n lastly, Im leaving for jeju tml! wish me all the luck man!!!! cya at the airport... if ur gg there.
n p/s ur england is so super power... love reading ur writin!!!

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home