Monday, February 12, 2007

Beating Monday Blues

The past weekend has not been too good.

The LTB group went down to Kinderland again to take a closer look on the rabbit's enclosure. After the visit, I can only say that I still have not much idea on how to improve the place. And we are supposed to complete the physical work by next week. Great...

Saturday night was horrible. I decided to use Liverpool against Newcastle on Winning Eleven. No matter how hard I tried, the best result that I could get was 0-0. Perhaps it was an indicator of my prowess on WE but hey at least it was six -stars difficulty. This was sort of a random predictor thing for me (ala Nokia Football Crazy) and most of time it was uncannily accurate. After about 5 tries I had to stop because the real thing was going to start on TV.

It got off to a perfect start when Bellamy scored early. However the sinking feeling took over me when Reina hit the clearance against Agger and all Martins needed to do was to tap the ball into the unguarded net. Bellamy, Zenden and Kuyt were all guilty of glaring misses and Harper made some unbelievable saves. Pretty soon it was rather obvious that it was not going to be our day.

Despite Liverpool dominating, Riise conceded a penalty against the run of play in the 2nd half. Solano tucked it away with Reina diving the wrong side and St. James' Park erupted. The scenes of Magpies' fans cheering reminisced the celebrations after Singapore's penalty shootout victory against Malaysia. The celebration was quite nice with the Newcastle fans all waving their black and white scarves in unison. (The significance was different from the white hankies waved by the Madridista crowd after the defeat to Gimnastic at Bernabeu.)

The match ended 2-1 and Roeder and the fans celebrated as if they won the League. Well, I can't really blame them because they hadn't won anything over the last 30+ years and had nothing much to cheer about except for the sacking of Graeme Souness. Sir Bobby who was recovering from his illness and in the stand that day should be very happy with the result.

So we are now 10 points behind Chelsea and 16 behind Man Utd. Arsenal could overtake us if they won their game in hand. Our next match will be against Barcelona in front of 98,000 fans at Nou Camp. It was hard not to be negative but I have trust in Rafa's ability. The money available would hopefully propel us into proper challengers next season.

I got a bad headache after playing football at Thomson on Sunday morning. The whole day was effectively wasted and I was supposed to start reading up for my Econs mid-term. Oh well... I offered myself the lame excuse of " I always rise up on big occasions". Hopefully I can pull it off again.

Today's Monday Blues was particular bad because I had not much interest in the HP Singapore discussion during TWC class. I desperately needed something to pick myself up. Searching for "Liverpool Champions' League" on Youtube will probably help.

It was still quite early and the videos loaded up in an acceptable amount of time. Despite not being able to turn on the volume, watching the video clips still gave me goosebumps. The memories from 25th May 2005 were all brought back. That was one night that I would never forget.

The shock early goal, the bloody massacre by half-time, the despair and fear of an even humiliating final score, the emotional rendition of You Will Never Walk Alone by the traveling Kop, Gerrard urging the team on after scoring, Smicer's goal that just eluded Dida, Alonso's penalty miss and subsequent equalizer, Dudek's incredible double saves and wobbly legs during the shoot-out, Shevchenko's miss and the wild celebrations immediately after that. I'm so tempted to borrow the DVD from Chiang again right now.

This is one sure way to cure my Monday blues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home