Friday, June 09, 2006

World Cup Memories

World Cup 2006 has just kicked off. The last World Cup I was still a yr 1 student at Anderson JC and since then I had finished my 'A's and served my time in green. 4 years later I'm going to be a student again, this time at SMU. Not really happy to study again but at least I'm a civillian now. Finally I can catch all the football I want.

Although the World Cup is approaching, I'm still not having the fever yet. Despite of all the hype in the media, the fact that the biggest event on Earth is going to take place soon hasn't sinked in for me yet. I did try to read most of the special reports on the newspapers as well as watching the latest news on TV but I don't find them as interesting as following Liverpool in EPL. However, I'm sure that I will be caught in the frenzy pretty soon as the competition hots up.

USA '94

The first World Cup I watched should be USA '94. I should be 9 years old then. I didn't watch most of the matches but did try to follow. I still can recall that Maradona was sent home for testing positive for drugs and Argentina followed him home soon in the second round. The Colombia team got a guy named Escobar murdered back home for scoring an own goal which contributed to its first round exit. Meanwhile there were a few footballers who became the darlings of their countries after excellent performances in the tournament. Hagi of Romania, Stoichkov of Bulgaria, Dahlin for Sweden, Roberto Baggio for Italy and of course Romario of Brazil were the examples. Brazil won for the tournament for the 4th time and I would say that it was a great achievement.

France '98

Fast forward to 4 years later. I was in Sec 1 at VS then. Watched many of the matches in France '98 during the holidays and watched most of the important matches from quarter-finals onwards. Nope I didn't watch Owen scoring that wonder goal nor Beckham's famous retaliation against Simeone in that legendary tie. It was too late and I decided to forego it without realizing that it would be a classic World Cup match. However I was in front of telly when Bergkamp scored the sublime goal against Argentina and it was pure class. I was really glad that I was able to witness such a great moment straight off the satellite at the very instant it was executed. Absolutely brilliant.

My most memorable match got to be Brazil v Netherlands in semis. By then a habit of supporting the underdogs has been formed. I was cheering on the Dutch and was screaming happily when Kluivert scored the late equaliser. However, Brazil won on penalties to advance to the finals. The next day I was so tired that I missed the bus stop on my way home. Despite that I still woke up to watch France v Croatia in another semis. This time the underdogs Croatia scored first but the unlikeliest scorer Thuram scored twice to give the victory to the host nation. Those two rather fluke goals turned out to be the only two scored by him for France. (I think) Tough luck but Bilic cheated to get Blanc sent off so I guess everything even themselves out eventually.

The final was kinda unexpected. Rooting for France in the final because they never win the World Cup before. Ronaldo's fitness was the main controversy in this match and in the end Brazil rarely threatened. France won 3-0 easily and a new legend in world football was born. His name is Zinedine Zidane. Finally the underdogs have their days.

Japan/Korea '02

It was really a memorable tournament. Most experts would say the shock results had made up for the lack of quality in the football in the tournament. I totally agree with that. Many top nations weren't at their best and got eliminated after the first round. Holders France, hot favourite Argentina and dark horse Portugal all went home early. In the end Brazil won their 5 world crown and the team of the tournament was co-host South Korea.

The first match between France and Senegal was the first upset of the tournament. Diop scored the only goal of the match and a few days later I noticed a Strike ticket pasted on a locker in school. Some punter had placed 1k bet for France to win and would make a profit of 100 if France won. I wondered how he felt after the game.

South Korea, a team who never won a World Cup match, managed to get into semi finals on home soil. They knocked out Portugal in group stages, Italy in 2nd round and Spain in the q-finals. (albeit with help from the match officials) I, like many other Singaporeans, were caught up in supporting the South Korean national team. I would say the Korean supporters' passion really gave me goosebumps. I wonder similar things will happen here if Singapore were to qualify for World Cup. Well probably it won't happen in my lifetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home