Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Holidays Plan

The school hasn't even started yet and Ho Teck is already asking if anyone is interested in going to Korea during the school holidays. Well I had been there long before Korean dramas like Winter Sonata invaded Singapore and revisiting Seoul wasn't my top travelling priority. I went there during its freezing winter and if I were to go again I will definitely choose to go in Spring or Autumn. A one week trip is likely to set me back at least 2k, something which I can't really afford.

I'm thinking of an overland trip from Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok via Phnom Penh and Sieam Reap. Many travellers had done this route and it seems that there's little danger (maybe only minor annonyances). There are many places which interest me along the way but due to time and budget constraints I reckon 2 weeks will be enough for me to take in most of the sights.

What is there to see? There's plenty. There are Reunification Palace and Cu Chi Tunnels in or near Saigon respectively, both historically important places during the Vietnam War. Tuol Sleng Museum and the Killing fields in Phnom Penh will remind us about the horror Cambodia had been through. The majestic Angkor Wat near Siem Reap will definitely be the highlight of the entire trip. Bangkok needs no introduction since almost everyone seems to have been there (except for me I think).

Cost-wise I don't think it will be very expensive as Vietnam and Cambodia are among the cheapest countries to travel in. Thailand may be slightly more expensive but prices are still low compared to Singapore. 30 sgd a night room should be fairly decent and there are even cheaper alternatives around. Food is cheap along the way but the local exotic taste may not suit everyone's stomach. I'm never a shopper but there should be cheap and unique stuff worth buying in these places.

Among the 3 budget airlines based in Singapore only Tiger Airways flies to HCMC. The fare for the December period isn't available yet but if booked at a right time an one way fare will probably be in the region of 120-150 sgd. Jetstar flies to both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap; an alternative if I decide to skip Bangkok. All 3 budget carriers fly the Bangkok-Singapore route. 100 sgd will probably get me an air ticket home and some change in the pocket.

I cannot estimate the exact cost because of the fluctuating air ticket prices but 1k should be the approximate amount required. So anyone interested? Drog me a tag and we can discuss about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home