Saturday, June 17, 2006

There is only one Roy Keane

Roy Keane Testimonial 9th May 2006 - Fitting farewell for a legend.

So finally the curtains had came down for this man. Roy Keane decided to call it a day in his professional football career. Unlike footballers of the past he had earned enough millions to last him this lifetime and probably another two. Most of the attention has been focused on the action in Germany, thus there is somewhat a muted response from the Man Utd fans around me. It was kind of sad though; he was the most successful captain for Man Utd ever.

I'm definitely not a Man Utd fan and seeing them succeed is the last thing I want to see. However this doesn't deter my admiration for Keane. He put in 100% everytime he went out on the field and never shirk away from any challenge or tackle. He is brutally honest to a fault and never someone to hold back his opinions.

Two memorable performances by Roy Keane would always remain in my mind. The first one was back in 1999 when Man Utd was playing the Champions' League semis against Juventus. Coming from 0-2 down, Keane inspired Man Utd to a 3-2 come-back win despite getting the yellow card which ruled him out of the final. The other one was League Cup final 2003 between my beloved Liverpool and Man Utd. Gerrard had scored early and United pushed forward for the equaliser. Gaps appeared for us to counter-attack. A through-ball was threaded to Owen and he was going on to score the decisive second goal. Looking at the replay Roy Keane's commitment to his team's cause and his personal drive for success were very much evident. He was at the edge of the opponents' penalty area when Owen was put through. He sprinted the whole length of the field back to his own area, trying unsuccesfully to prevent Owen from scoring. In contrast Rio who was in his own half in the first place strolled back as if he couldn't care less.

Keane was never a role model for the kids and I don't think he ever intends to be. His deliberate attempt to injure Haaland was horrible and he was rightly punished for that. The fiasco leading to his exit from the World Cup 2002 shouldn't have happened. I felt that although he didn't see eye-to-eye with the Irish coach Mick McCarthy he should have played on for the sake of his country. However it won't be Roy Keane if all these are taken away.

Keane was always frank and said things that others wouldn't. Prawn sandwich brigade at Old Trafford was slammed by him and under-performing players were criticised regardless of their reputation. He only said these because he cared for Man Utd. Other players like Rio wouldn't give a hoot as long as he collected his millions. I would leave you with some of my favourite Keane's quotes:-
"Sometimes you wonder, do they understand the game of football? They have a few drinks and probably the prawn sandwiches, and they don't know what's going on out on the pitch."
Roy Keane on section of the Old Trafford crowd.
(Holds true for many Man Utd fans here too...)
"I'd waited long enough. I fucking hit him hard. The ball was there. (I think) Take that you cunt. And don't ever stand over me sneering about fake injuries."
Roy Keane on Alf Inge Haaland.
(Someone you don't wish to cross paths with...)
"Who the fuck you think you are, having meetings with me? Mick, you are a liar.... you're a fucking wanker. I didn't rate you as a player, I don't rate you as a manager, and I don't rate you as a person. You're a fucking wanker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your bollocks!!!"
Roy Keane allegedly to Mick McCarthy May 2002.
(Very Keano...)
"Just because you are paid 120,000 pounds-a-week and play well for 20 minutes against Tottenham, you think you are a superstar."
Roy Keane on Rio Ferdinand.
(I absolutely love this and fully agree with him.)

Sadly but truely as most Man Utd fans will agree with me, there is only one Roy Keane.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home