Monday, March 19, 2007

Easy Way Out

During yet another LTB meeting this afternoon, our discussion drifted to the upcoming summer terms. Everyone seemed to be talking about it because the bidding for the modules starts today and many of the group mates are interested to do the summer modules.

Although I want to graduate early too, I do not feel like taking any summer terms. It is my personal choice and I went on reveal a little about myself to my group mates .

So far, I admit that I have not been trying my best, especially academic-wise. However, if I get to live my life again, I think that I will do the exact same things. Reason: In my opinion, the marginal improvement in grades is not worth the significant amount of added effort. In the meantime, I will probably miss out on many things that I enjoy if I really push myself to maximize my potential.

The reactions from most of the group members were rather negative; one particularly stood out. She said that I am someone with no ambitions and she said that with the most contempt and disgust. I could tell that from her eyes that she really despises people with no ambitions (yeah I'm one of those).

I was quite startled by her reaction. However, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. I do agree with her that I lack ambitions. That's probably because everything has not been too difficult so far and life has been rather smooth-sailing to me.

While I'm not those kind who completely never do work, somehow I do not need to work particularly hard for my results. I've always delivered on the big occasions; from PSLE up to my driving test. Luck will probably run out one day but I hope that it will not be anytime soon.

When I was younger, I did have big dreams. However along the way I realized my own mortality and limitations. There are so many people out there better than me and there are so many things that I cannot do. The realization was probably too hard for me to take and changed my thinking. Mediocrity is probably good enough and the easy way out is probably the best way out.

Oh gosh... This sounds so demoralizing... Seriously I need to find my ambitions back. Perhaps I can begin by setting some goals to aim for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home