Wednesday, May 23, 2007

SYJ Triple Header

What's SYJ?

It actually stands for Son Ye-Jin.

So who's exactly Son Ye-Jin?

I'm sure that most of those familiar with Korean dramas/movies should know who she is.

Son Ye-Jin

For the uninitiated, Son Ye-Jin is one of the prettiest and most talented Korean actress around.

I managed to watch 3 of her movies over the last 3 days: Classic, A Moment to Remember and April Snow.

Keulraesik


Classic was the first show that I watched and is easily my favourite among the three. I like the way how the story is being told; although SYJ played both the mother and daugther in the movie, it was not too difficult to follow the story. The most memorable scene for me was at the cafe whereby Ji-Hae discovered the truth behind her chance meeting with Sang-Min the other day; I thought that it was really heart-warming.

Nae Meorisogui Jiugae


A Moment to Remember was next on the list and I could only say that it was really very sad. I was reminded of 50 First Dates but at least Drew Barrymore can keep the memories for 24 hours. Personally I do not think that I will be able to handle the situation. My mind also raised some questions for myself while watching the movie: What defines a person? Is it his/her memories? Or is it just the physical body?

Maybe I will leave the philosophical discussion to some other day. Anyway it seems that a recurring phenomenon in Korean shows is that almost all the people in them are so unbelievably 痴情. (devoted?) Somehow the Korean shows portrayed Koreans as a 痴情 ethnic group. I wonder how true this is. LOL...

At the start the heroine was seemingly the one who treasured the relationship more but in the end the love shown by her husband was truly touching. Although there was no happily-ever-after ending it was sort of a nice closure for the entire movie. For the emotional people who intend to watch the movie, the advice is to prepare packets of tissue of standby.

Oechul


By the time I watched April Snow, diminishing marginal returns had set in. It was not that I was sick of the pretty face of SYJ but everything should be done in moderation. Furthermore there was not much dialogue and the slow pace of the plot did not help at all.

However the movie is not without its redeeming point; there are several GOOD scenes which showed SYJ dressed in her undies. Oh my god... She has a super hot body to go with her pretty face.

Bae Yong Jun is such a lucky fellow.

I'm now really looking forward to watching Alone in Love. (SYJ won an acting award for her role in that.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home