Wednesday, July 26, 2006

CIP

SMU requires its students to complete 80 hrs of community service before they can graduate and I'm no exception. During the matriculation, there were a few activities that we could sign up for. As usual I was very blur and didn't know which one to go for but the beach party was appealing because it allowed the participants to fulfill the 80 hours requirement. I put my name down for it and one other activity which I couldn't remember.

Day 1 Get-to-know-your-group + Learn-to-draw-with-sand

I arranged to meet Zonghan before the briefing as he was going to bring the indemnity form for me. My brother was telling me that the indemnity forms are like the toilet papers for SMU because they are used to cover its ass. These indemnity forms are getting on my nerves. Imagine having to ask your parents to sign that for every single activity.

Meanwhile I was surprised to see Zhiwei at the briefing. It had been quite sometime since we last met and it was great to catch up with him again. After the briefing, we were allocated to our groups. Neither Zonghan nor Zhiwei was in the same group as me and I knew no one from mine. The facilitators showed up after the briefing and brought us on a short tour around the school. We attempted some icebreaker games and the foundation of the wall between the girls and the guys was laid then. Maybe it was just awkward for all of us.

We went to PS for lunch and our 2 facilitators gave us the first hint how they maintain their figures. Their food were barely touched. When questioned Serene said that she had 3 breakfasts earlier. So we know that it's okay to have many meals as long as you eat very little each time. The more-meals-less-portion diet is the regime that nutritionist always recommends and I believe it works. However the amount of food wasted just made me think about all the starving people around the world.

We were taught how to do the sand painting after our lunch. It wasn't difficult and our group was very efficient. We finished our trial painting and completed the discussion about our next day's schedule within a short time. While we had more time to interact with one another the wall between the sexes seemed to get higher. The guys were really flabbergasted how the girls could keep on talking about the World Cup. Jen and Sulyn chatted like they were long-lost sisters. The rest (especially me) just wanted to be spared the misery of doing nothing and the dismissal time to come quickly.

Day 2 Excursion + Prep for presentation

I was welcomed by a familiar face at Bugis MRT station. It turned out that Joel was meeting Julian and Weimin. They were going to Sim Lim together to help Julian get his new computer. Minyang and Elvin would be meeting them there. Only Julian could summon so many people to help him. I was quite happy to see them but the next time I see these guys we will be in green again. Haizz...

Our group made our way to the Waterloo Street where the Chinese and Hindu temples are side by side. We were lucky as we chanced upon an Indian lady buying flowers from the Chinese vendor; something which we were looking for. After that we went to Sultan Mosque at Kampung Glam. There was also this kind guy which talked to us about the Tongkat Ali tree at the Malay Heritage Centre. We went for our lunch at Bugis and the other guys in the group managed to squeeze in a round of dota after it.

We had the entire afternoon to prepare our presentation. Our facilitators were misinformed that everyone had to participate in the presentation so we decided to come out with a poem. The girls edited the draft the guys came up with and the end product was surprisingly pleasant. We were allocated our parts for the big show the next day and I was rather thankful that I need not present the poem.

My group was overwhelming Easties and 10 out of the 12 of us took the East line home. It was at the train station when I realised that Yingying stayed in the same condominium as me. However we had never seen each other before. Maybe it's time to start using the facilities my father has been paying for.

Day 3 Presentation Day

I could see that the other groups put in much more effort than we did. Group 1 even dressed up in the ethnic costumes. Maybe we should have been more serious during the preparation. We went through the rehearsals before the actual thing and I can't seem to remember my lines. Another person with the same problem was Justin who kept saying the wrong words despite having the poem right in front of him.

We were the fifth group to present and it turned out that the poem was our saving grace. Our presentation didn't have anything spectacular but the rendition of the poem was flawless. Thanks to Justin, James, Kenneth and Amelia for delivering it spectacularly. I think the 2 ladies from career services were impressed by it.

We were given a sneak preview of the sand paintings during the presentations. 3 of the designs were particularly impressive; namely the wedding couple, the mask and the merlion. The people behind these works were really talented.

After the redundant trip to Republic Polytechnic I was dead tired. I wonder what will happen to me when school starts.

Day 4 Sand Painting

We started work on our masterpieces at 10. My group was really special because we were given 3 pieces of acrylic sheets instead of the 2. Yanlong who's studying in RP came to find me and Zhiwei. Another Attila gathering.

We were split into 2 groups; one would work on our initial design and the other would write out our poem in sand. I was in the latter and after we were done with the piece we went to help the other group. We finished rather early and I went around to look at the other group's designs. The wedding couple was good on paper but not really eye-catching using sand. The mask wasn't as good on paper but it was really amazing when it was completed.

We were supposed to sell the sand paintings to raise funds for the organisation we were working for but it seemed that only the mask was good enough to attract a bid. Serene seemed to be quite down because our paintings were among the ugliest. However Justin managed to cheer her up by pointing out the Singa piece. We could only hope that someone out there was smart enough to appreciate our art pieces and bid for them on Saturday.

Day 5 Bridge Day

We were informed that one other piece was bidded for but expectedly it wasn't ours. There wasn't much public who came for the event and we just spent our time waiting for dismissal time and playing cards. We started to play bridge and some of the girls went to try out the mahjong at the booths.

It had been quite sometime since I played bridge. I really like the days when the level 3 guys (me, Gabriel, Peter , Jon, Teng Leng, Heng, Toh) would play bridge and kp about encik at the same time. While playing I realised that our 2 facilitators were very competitive and would come up with all sorts of stunts to win. It was very amusing. The guys retaliated back but somehow the facilitators always managed to win. We had to stop after both Alphonsus and Serene were arrowed to pose for the Tamil newspaper.

After the lunch we played Indian Poker and Sabo 99 and Alphonsus was the only unlucky person made to do a forfeit. We discussed about having a gathering and the tentative plan is having supper on the 4th at 85. In the end the whole event ended without our paintings being sold. It was expected but I don't think anyone would feel good about it.

Poem

Singapore

The guys with our 2 pretty facilitators. ( I expect a good appraisal...)

Group V with its masterpieces

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home