Friday, September 01, 2006

The Joy of Being an NSman

My Stats mid-term test falls on the same day of my tech mob date. For the tech mob, I'm supposed to report with my FBO to Pasir Ris Camp within a certain time after being activated. So being a good soldier, I informed the SAF as soon as I found out about the test.

After getting no infomation from the NS portal I decided to just call the NS hotline. It was last Monday and the person attending to me had taken note of my situation and promised to forward my case to the relevant units which were 9DIV/Inf and 56SAB. When prompted to give me a date when I could get a reply, he said that within 3-5 working days someone will get in touch with me.

Ten working days had passed and I had enough of waiting. I called the hotline again today and the person speaking to me this time was called Eric. He checked the status of my case and told me that it was still being processed. I wasn't in the happiest of mood and was no longer speaking nicely. No one got in contact with me to update me on the whole thing. When I asked him to give me the numbers of the 9DIV/INF, he began to tell me some grandmother stories about the units not entertaining any enquiries and I had to go through the call centre to get to them.

All these were begining to infuriate me and I started to kaopeh. Who is going to be responsible if I get charged for not reporting for the mob? Who is going to be responsible if I get zero for my test? Eric, call centre or 9DIV? What had staff done over the past 10 days? Pushing the responsibility to different departments? It's less than 5 weeks to the date. There's really no fucking efficiency. How do you expect SAF to defend Singapore? Just put me through to that fucker S1 and we can trash it out. Going through the whole bureaucracy is damn stupid. All the shit about call centre and 9DIV/INF is really pissing me off. (Alright I didn't say all that but half of them at least.)

Eric chose to remain quiet when faced with difficult questions. He knew that whatever he replied would get shot down by me. He was probably trained to face difficult NSmen like me and I knew that all my tirades seemed to have not much effect. However it feels good to kaopeh those in green regardless of their rank. I had served my part and moved on. That's the joy of being an NSman.

P.S. If within the next few working days I still didn't get any reply I will make sure whoever answer my call at the call centre is going to get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home