Monday, March 26, 2007

Looking Back...

The time has came. It had been a long 12 weeks but it was also a memorable one. My LTB journey had finally ended with a deserving finale on Saturday.

To tell the truth I was not at all excited when I was first assigned the group. Firstly I did not know anyone. Secondly I was the only local guy. Thirdly the girls to guys ratio was too skewed. So I was not too enthusiastic towards the entire LTB project at first.

The turning point actually came when I managed to make all my other group members angry during one of the earlier meeting. I felt quite guilty and decided to volunteer to do more stuff to make up for it. I like to think that they have forgiven me but I'm not too sure about that.

I had lost count of the number of times the group has met over the weeks but three times a week was probably the minimum. There were always countless problems to tackle and numerous issues to settle. Along the way there were setbacks and disappointments but they were all part of the learning experience.

I think that I kept my emotions under check quite well throughout the 12 weeks. Even if I was pissed-off and frustrated, I could still put on a front and not reveal my feelings. I sound like a hypocrite here but this is a self-defense mechanism for me I guess.

For every group the difference in the level of commitment among the group members will always exist. Personally I felt that the project would not have got going without the initiative of two people; namely Cecilia and Yan Ting. It was quite obvious that they were always the ones initiating meetings and getting things done.

I felt that only doing the tasks that were given to us explicitly were not enough. Very often not enough initiatives were undertaken in my opinion and it resulted in us taking the easiest way out. The class presentation was quite an obvious example; I thought that we started out with several great ideas but we did not push them through and ended with a rather dull presentation.

Luckily our final presentation did not go down the same route. Although there were many uncertainties and logistical concerns, I insisted on the original idea because I really wanted to do well and did not want our presentation to end up mediocre. In the end I could safely say that our final presentation was easily the best among all the groups.

I like to thank everyone who had extended assistance to our team throughout our project. There were too many to mention but I'm really grateful for all the generosity and sorry for all the inconveniences that we might have caused.

LTB had been part of life for the past two months plus and it felt kind of weird as there will be no more LTB meetings. Not that I'm complaining but I had fun doing all the LTB stuff. Although it was demanding at times the satisfaction at the end was quite worth it. If I'm able to get an A-, perhaps I will apply to be TA for LTB in the future.

It's proven that I'm someone who does not keep friends very well. I could not recall most of my primary school friends and almost lost all contact with the friends made in JC days. Nowadays I also hardly see my army buddies as well. The main reason why I still see the VS guys frequently is because of football.

I don't know whether I will remain close to the group mates. Most probably we will just become acquaintances who say hi and bye when we meet in school in the future. Regardless of that, I will like to acknowledge the fact that all the group members have made an impact on my life. Thank you all for being part of this short but memorable journey with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home