Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Last King of Scotland


I just watched the movie The Last King of Scotland. Although there were some parts that I could not make full sense of, the acting of Forrest Whittaker was really superb. He really deserved his Oscars.

While some scenes of TLKS were powerful, they were nowhere near the feelings invoked when I watched Hotel Rwanda. Africa seemed to be the continent beset with conflicts and failed states. Idi Amin was just one of the numerous leaders who ruined their countries and the war in Darfur is still ongoing now.

In one of my modules, the professor were discussing about why Africa was so much poorer when compared to the rest of the world. Even the experts could not agree on why was it so. My opinion was that the root of these problems goes back all the way to the days of colonialism; when Africa was carved up and being exploited by the English, French, German or whatever regardless of ethnic or religious boundaries.

Well it had been so many years since the colonialism ended hence not all the problems laid with the Europeans. Many of the African leaders were often either inept or corrupt or most likely both. Many former colonies have prospered; Singapore is one good example. I feel that there are probably many factors that create the situation in Africa today.

Anyway my holidays started today. Perhaps I could catch up on all the nice movies that I had missed in the next few weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home